Monday, January 12, 2009

San Cristobal Mexico

San Cristobal is a curious mixture of the pre-Columbian indigenous people and the remnants of the old colonial. It is not at pretty as Oaxaca but more culturally interesting. Here are some shots from around the city.
Chris and I got separated when I went to find a hotel. I sat on a bench in the park while my moto socialized with some of the locals. Shortly after I took this picture my motorcycle was swarming with police. I found they were just curious about it.
The town attracts a lot of European's.
..and GSs. We saw 4 all registered in the state of Chiapas.
Some of the local women wore these interesting skirts. They looked like they weigh 10 pounds and were hairy looking.
We are well in to January and the Christmas celebrations continue on the Parque. They were giving away these large Christmas Bread cakes to the kids.
We found a hotel several blocks from the Parque at a good rate and secure parking but no internet and the rooms were a little small for two 6 feet plus guys.
This was on the Municipal City Building on the Parque. The EZLN is the revolutionary party that was fighting for separation at one time but seems to have lost its momentum. Note the Palestine bit. Saw that in Oaxaca also.
Interesting, at least to me, are the number of young people, pictured on the right that are attracted to the area’s contemporary revolutionary, land reform views of the people on the left. Sort of feels like the a throw back to the 60's. I didn't notice a lot of mixing and talking with each other. It was interesting to read that the latest leader of the EZLN got on a motorcycle and road around the State trying to revive the cause. Is there some symbolism there? They even sale EZLN T-Shirts to the tourist. What would Che think? Who knows. I,m just an outsider looking in from afar.....
There is a nite scene in town. But Chris and I found a dinner place with wi fi so we hung out checking e-mail, Skype etc.

3 comments:

Sis said...

Hi Harry! It looks like a paradise down there! It ain't Alaska! I'm really enjoying all that you write and the pictures are great. However,I am interested in those hairy skirts. They look like they'd be great to keep the knees and legs warm in the office. NOT! I don't even want to know who's, or what's, hair it is. HA!

star at LCC said...

Hi Chris and Harry I'm glad you guys are doing fine. It loks beutiful down there in Central America.Here in Lansing temp's has been is single digits and shit load of snow. Take care Muchahos ! pecho de paloma and pygeon chest on your new adventures. God bless You guys !!!

star at LCC said...

What I mean to say is: "Ojo de aguila y pecho de paloma", which basically means "keep your eyes sharp like the eagle and pigeon chest" Eyes open for safety and pigeon chest because I'm proud of you guys and a litle jealous that I'm not there sharing such wonderful adventures.