Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Little Background

It was closing in on midnight, I was on the Glen Highway heading to Alaska's gigantic Wrangell-St Elias National Park. For the last hour I was enjoying views of the park’s mountain ranges. Suddenly I came on a spectacular and imposing view of the mountains. The midnight sun, location, illuminated snow caps together made a dramatic scene. Stopped in the middle of the deserted road, staring at the mountain, I began to suspect this Alaska trip was not going to be my last long distance motorcycle trip. There was “more to see” while on two wheels. The picture at the beginning of this blog is the view I saw that night on the deserted Alaskan highway. So it is befitting because it led to taking this latest journey.
In 2007 I decided to do what I was admiring others doing. I completed a 13,700 mile motorcycle trip from Michigan to Deadhorse, Alaska and Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada, both on the Arctic Ocean. The Google Earth globe shows the route. If you want to read about the Alaska trip, visit this site. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250239&highlight=h-jay.
After arriving home I was certain another trip was going to happen. Its something about learning new skills, testing your abilities against the unknown and doing something out of the ordinary that involve a certain amount of risk. By August I decided South America was the next destination. Eventually a route evolved from some "must sees" recommendations. They included the tip of South America's legendary Tierra del Fuego ending in the famous town of Ushuaia, Argentina. I also added the Ruta 40 through the wild Patagonia landscape, 16,000 feet passes in the Andes, Machu Picchu ruins, the Salar de Uyuni salt flats and maybe the “Road of Death” in Bolivia.
Thanks looking in. I hope you enjoy MO 2 C in Latin America with us. - Harry

No comments: